Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Goin' to San Diego?

I think I'm being manipulated into moving to San Diego. I'm certainly being coaxed into somewhere, and if it ain't San Diego, I don't know where the hell it is. I may have family there- if I knew exactly where S.D. was, I might know (my unexercised mind prevails.)
     Kiwi Herman sang a song to me this afternoon, when I mentioned the suspected offer to America's Finest City, that went something like this:
"I left my heart and soul behind
Is it calling or cunning?
with the clubbers in San Diego..."
     Although I always fancied myself more of a street urchin, I'm pretty sure, had I stepped foot down a more glamorous road, I would have ended up a clubber in San Diego. But one year while on vacation at the Jersey Shore, Jackie and I spent the entire trip home staring dismally (and ungratefully) out the windows of the van, pondering the fact that no matter where you are, it always ends up just the same old you in the same old small town. While our mother soaked in the history of every single small town we went through, Jackie and I sat slumped in the back seat, thoroughly depressed by the fact that all we are were two small town girls living in a small town world.  By the time we made the 7 hour trip home, we didn't even see the point in unpacking our suitcases.
     I think it was that realization that stopped me from taking the inevitable 18-years-old-and-just-graduated-from-highschool trip to California.  I knew, since that trip to the shore, that it would just be me  (and probably Jackie) out in the beautiful west.
     Or maybe I've just always been depressed?

8 comments:

  1. funniest d*mn blog yet, babe. Beyond funny

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahhahhahah
    "I left my heart in San {Diego}
    With some CLUB KIDS

    ReplyDelete
  3. missionary in san diego? they might need it more than peru.

    same sh*t, different day. changing the time or location doesn't change the person, but you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Wherever I sat — on the deck of a ship or at a street cafĂ© in Paris or Bangkok — I would be sitting under the same glass bell jar, stewing in my own sour air.'

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats real deep clarice! those scarves have magical powers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a time MC when you were not stewing in your own sour air, but glowing and fair.

    ~Philo

    ReplyDelete
  7. on second thought, i think you find the hum-drum life of a stay at home to be pretentious and boring. i could totally see you doing something outside the box, like mission work. i think you would find it to be quite meaningful. as for someone like me, who never saw herself getting married or having kids, this life is a challenge enough, but i'm just boring like that ;)

    these posts are starting to make me feel like a)an insensitive jack a** or b)a pompous know-it-all.

    ReplyDelete