Monday, February 7, 2011

Tag, Maggie. You're it.

A few months ago my brother (Dan) suggested that I become friends with one of his friend's wives.  I'm not sure if it's my a result of the "outrageous" behavior I've been indulging in (Ned flinches when he passes me in the hallway), or a reckless freedom that got ahold of me, or the fact that her name is synonomous with too many shots of Jameson and live Irish dancers (Jackie, who is terrible with names, called her Megs McCardle. Same idea.) but I left behind all sound reason and invited her over. Kiwi Herman, Megs McCardle, and I drank mimosas till the wee hours of the...afternoon. I thought we got along swimmingly. So did Kiwi Herman. A few nights later Ned went out with her husband on a pub crawl. Her husband randomly broke out into breakdancing. Sweeeeet. And they only live two streets away. Even sweeter.  I thought a fab friendship had blossomed. Except I never heard from her again. For a month or so, I was tempted to re-invite her over, like the mimosas never happened. This time, I planned on being perched at an L shaped desk when she arrived, snap shut a notebook, and briskly usher her in to my sterile, alcohol free home. Rather than whistling to get her attention (yes, I really did whistle to get her attention her first/last time over), I imagine myself asking all the right questions (not "were you pregnant when you got married?" I thought it was normal till retrospect. Retrospect sucks.), serve a homemade frittata, and at the end calmly and efficiently walk her to her car.
Not what Megs McCardle expected? I think this is how she remembers me seeing her out the door.
But that really ain't my style. And I ain't givin' up on Megs McCardle yet. I refuse to admit to Dan that it didn't pan out. You can't pull off Outrageous and Rejected all in one person. That's mental hospital material. Although, according to MY MOTHER, that's my next stop.

2 comments:

  1. damnit johanna, leave your poor dear mother alone, ha, ha.

    didn't mrs. herman serve us frittatas (holy moly thats a lot of t's!)the last time we were over together? and i didn't get no walk to my car, i got a piece of her tree stuck in my foot!

    and listen, i honestly doubt you have been rejected. i think some people just need a little encouragement first...and this is coming from a girl who puts herself out there by obsessively checking and commenting on your family's blogs! OR, were you enjoying yourself so much with your bff to notice that she didn't drink any mimosas?

    party of 2 please? ah megs, i know the feeling, i know the feeling ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha that picture...no way, Johanna. I need to write you a message. And why am I not surprised that Ian did capoeira while drunk, walking the streets of S. Buffalo?

    ReplyDelete