Friday, December 17, 2010

Barometer of Wealth

Today I struck upon a treasure that was both a blessing and a curse. I have a serious weakness for Yankee Candles, although I am well aware that they are completely unnecessary. Not to mention expensive as hell. Ned has a learned (manipulated?) fondness for Yankee Candle as well, and on a good day treats me to them.
Anyway, today I discovered a shelf FULL of Christmas and Autumn Yankee Candles at Marshall's. For $9.99. For the big ones.  I was suddenly IRATE.  At Yankee Candle for charging $29.99.  At myself for spending $29.99 (even the Buy-one-get-one coupons are no match for this). So mad, in fact, that I bought a variety of scents and sizes. I spent a guilt-free $90.00 on 11 Yankee Candles today.
All was well until I called Jackie. Maybe she was having a bad day? Maybe I was irritatingly superfluous? She described them as my personal "barometer of wealth" and said that "she don't see why I don't just buy Glade. They smell just the same, Jo."
The terrible thing is that I had no argument (news to me). Jackie knew how many hours her Glade candle burned, how good it smelled, and how much it cost. Come to think of it, it was odd how much Jackie endorsed her Glade candles. It almost made me want to buy Glade. punch her in the face.
Tell me you don't see the difference.

8 comments:

  1. those are some tiny candles. just doesn't look as nice sitting on a mantle as the yankee. i've been buying the 3.99 generic ones at christmas tree shoppe. they don't smell as good but they work. either way, yankees last 4eva. i still have the one you bought me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought those generic ones once and spiraled into a deep depression. Just saying'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there really is a 'fine line of depression' with you, ja, ja!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God, get over the candles! Ever hear of electricity? Ever hear of aerosol cans? Ever hear of automatic scent dispensers? Both of yous need some real help! And I'm talkin lie on a couch kind of help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry mc but aerosol spray brings back not so fond memories of my dad and his ibs. thats a no-go for me captain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. and scent dispensers have been proven to cause household fires! way to try and kill us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You spent 90 DOLLARS on Candles? Thats a lot of freakin money on wax. 90 dollars is like 1/5th of a ticket to come see me. I see now you have no intention of ever visiting your long lost sister-in-law. Im spiraling into a deep depression. I need some booze.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i have an absolute obsession with yankee candles, i probably have about 15 or so sitting in closet as we speak... & now that i hear about this whole 9.99 thing.... im headed to tj maxx n marshalls tomorrow :) thanks joey

    ReplyDelete