Thursday, December 2, 2010

Ned and George's Snow Day (& A Bit of Jackie)

We are snowed in like you wouldn't believe, and Ned is in high gear. (ie. There is a pot resting on our fireplace to put his wet gloves in in between shoveling gigs.) He is planning a "family" trip to the store. For beer. He asked me to stand in our (freezing) front hall, just to keep an eye on the kids that are playing in our yard. When Ned is in high gear, I am merely a pawn in his To-do game. Never mind that I am recovering from the flu. Or that I hate being cold. Ned actually looks slightly taken aback if I protest in the slightest to his big plans for today. Yesterday, when I was full-fledged-flu, he wanted me to run out to the store for new socks for his Christmas party. (His Christmas party is on Saturday.) This was after I had dragged myself to Target for HIM. All day, he had made it quite clear that he was not feeling overly empathetic to me. (He went clothes shopping with Dan the D-bag, leaving poor sick me with the kids.) When I finally snapped and reminded him for the umpteenth time that I am SICK, Ned looked at me somewhat askance and said "Well you don't look sick. And you're not acting sick." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ♥ 
But, Negative Ned sure is helping those neighbors out. George across the street has been trying for 3 1/2 hours to get his truck out. It's bordering on 'off' (as my Mom would say.) But Ned is shoveling right along with him. Dear Ned. And, dear George. Once George carried my dresser down three flights of stairs. Alone. All his tendons were popping out, and his back was arched like a question mark. Jackie was over at the time, and between Jackie's calm, nervous, slightly hysterical expression (Jackie is uncannily aware of possible catastrophe. She was weighing the possibilities of George's back breaking. Jackie does not tread through life lightly.) and George's perma-smile, it was a little too much. I told George I was laughing at Jackie, and Jackie I was laughing at George.
The snow is STILL coming down. Ned is still shoveling. Nikid is threatening to guest blog. I have to buy beer and dress socks. Dan the d-bag deserves a blog post of his own because he is being a total d-bag. Jackie's voice is high and thin because she has an art show tomorrow and she is getting slightly hysterical. Time to get on with my day.

3 comments:

  1. no snow over here folks.

    i would looooooove to see your post on dan. cannot wait!

    and its not a threat, just a friendly suggestion, extended to others as well ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you handle it Jo? Put your tiny little foot down just once will you. I mean sick with the flu and shopping and taking care of the kids. Ned will still love you I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will never forget the grotesque spectacle of George teetering down the stairs with that enormous dresser. LMAO!

    ReplyDelete