Monday, December 6, 2010

Walking that Fine Line of Depression

I was at a party a week ago and a girl with wicked side swept bangs (think Vogue) mentioned that she only washes her hair every three days. A door of infinite possibilities opened. SWUNG open. Hit the wall behind it, it swung so fast. (Ned was probably standing there, knowing Ned.). Showers in the morning are a hurdle (and a half) to me. I can't leave the house without one (or mascara), but wet hair in the winter is sooo time consuming. I'm not even really a hair person, but Ned's very possible reaction to greasy bangs is enough to invest in curlers, round brushes and (now) baby powder. Use baby powder on dry hair.  Works like a charm.
Imagine Ned if I got baby powder
in the house. Hahaha just imagine.
The only problem is that I am constantly aware of the slippery slope that is DEPRESSION. My mom once told me one of her embeds-itself-as-fear-in-your-memory stories about when she was a young mother chatting happily on the phone with her BFF (think me and Kiwi Herman. Showers are a triumph to her. The parallels between her and my mom are nutty, as my mom would say.) My mom's friend mentioned her "daily shower", and a lightbulb went on in my mom's head. It was suddenly clear as day to her that since she didn't take a daily shower, she was depressed. (She's fine, now. Takes 4 a day.) It must have struck a weird chord with me, because since I was, like, 8, I've had to take a shower every day just to prove to myself that I wasn't slipping.
My whole life seems to consist of proving to myself that I'm not slipping. It ain't easy, the tightrope of mental illness. Especially when you've got Ned, looking at me from farther and farther away, his eyes getting meaner and meaner "You're crazy. I like you, but you're crazy."

4 comments:

  1. I think you said those exact words to me a few days ago, in which case I then proceeded to remove the 18 posts I placed on your wall. Nothing like the stigma of being 'crazy' to make you feel, well, crazy. I think this is one of the main reasons I got a degree in psychology...to psychoanalyze myself! Recovering anxiety disorder, hypochondriac over here! Don't even get me started on all my 'control issues'. I take a shower every day. Need I say more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2,315 and 29. you are moving up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is frickin hilarious, depressed, due to remaining clean for more than 24 hours. Your brother is really depressed if thats the case he washes his hair once a month (although he showers more than that he just doesn't shampoo his hair)

    ReplyDelete