Monday, November 22, 2010

Is this an Identity Crisis?

Kiwi Herman is quitting drinking. Negative Ned started taking 2000mg of Vitamin D a day. He now sees the silver lining EVERYWHERE. Big Trish sees a slice of cheese as extra calories. And says no. Monie wears skinny jeans and knee boots. (Monie has been wearing Gap hoodies and bootcut jeans for EVER.) Jackie misses phone calls because of homework. I called my sister the other day and she was at the science museum. Randomly. What is happening?
Me amongst friends? And we ain't talkin' figures.
I'm pretty sure I'm at a crossroads. Now when I tell my mom what my friend (so what if they're 45? I'm only 28. Isn't that what matters?) screamed to a group of people across Elmwood, concern lines her face .Yes, she gets the humor. But she also gently tells me, in so many words, that my friend might be more than just funny. They might be an alcoholic. Oh sit.
Actually, I kind of think this whole crossroads is my mom's fault. (When in doubt, blame your mother!) For example, I really, really like Victoria's Secret clothes. Like, the normal ones. Pretty tunics. Button leggings. Grey knee boots. But every time I order something, I have a 10 million pound weight on my conscience. "Not schmart, Joey. You have three precious little girls. Have you seen their advertisements? If you don't tell them it's wrong, WHO WILL?"   Holy freakin' cow. Talk about responsibility. The worst part is she tries to keep it light by saying 'schmart' instead of smart, so I can't even retaliate. The most I can do is show her the serious knee showing in the Talbots ad.
Anyway, with all these people seemingly moving over and out (hello kiera, im johanna and I'm an alcoholic too. can you just wait like 2 more years?) and my mother's forbidding face in my mind, I am debating a lot of things. Why I can't just pray to the patron saints of vanity, addiction, and idolatry and wait for divine intervention?  And why doesn't anyone want to do this with me? I decided to turn to Ned to tell me if I've crossed that very, very fine line of fun and over the edge. (I think my whole life I will wonder if it's common knowledge that I am more than a little unhinged. It's a sick sick feeling when you realize you were the only one who thought last Thanksgiving was a PART-AY!) When I asked Ned his opinion on my crisis, he, with his new Vitamin D-induced clarity, said "You're fine, Jo. We all have work to do. I wouldn't worry about it." Gentle, yet firm. And didn't really answer the question. And...Ned thinks I have work to do? WTF? My crisis continues.

13 comments:

  1. This is one of my all time fav quotes:
    "Don’t spend your life sitting on the fence, keeping your options open, because only commitments bring fulfilment. Happiness comes from meeting our obligations, doing our duty, especially in small matters and regularly, so we can rise to meet the harder challenges" Cardinal Pell, World Youth Day

    Also, a wise person once pointed out that sitting on a fence is very uncomfortable for one's nether regions. I'm just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite coherent. not sure if you would like a joking response, a serious one or a combo platter. not trying to go all dr. phil on you on the www!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well whatever you do know that you WILL be drinking with me in a year 1/2 when I come home. If you dont we will no longer be friends. OK? And Jo, Im totally serious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder if we're going to watch you slowly unravel through blogging lol.... and that's a pretty serious threat from nicole. my dad always said the key to life is moderation. though very good advice, that can easily be a slippery slope! ps i LOVE your blog (yes i said it again)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we have a lot of the same sorts of questions, Jo. There is a fine line between excessive behavior and being and abusive behavior. I'm of the view that if you are asking the question, your not the latter (if you were, you'd know).

    For me, it's about recognizing when things went too far and trying not to go there again (after you left my party, for example, things went too far. But while you were there, it was....)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my Joey how many times do I need to tell you, just three months. I'm no a drinking hiatus. I haven't changed. And monie is wearing knee boots and skinnys? Monie- i'd be having an identity crisis too. I love you so so so so smuch

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think the worst part of this whole post is that everyone thinks alcoholism is a viable option. WTF? Nicole never fear. And hurry home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's call a spade a spade Joh- you need some serious f-in help and I have too much homework to do anything about it. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm just glad you were shocked that I was at the Science Museum

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok.... i think this is the age of crossroads... mid to late 20's & nearing 30! OUCH! ive been at a GAL DANG crossroads for darn near a decade haha (GULP) ok now the reality of my situation is setting in...
    but really i LOVE your blog, it brings a real sense of relief jo... lol slowly realizing im not the only one at a quarter life crisis..
    <3 u joanne
    puppa signing out

    ReplyDelete