Monday, November 8, 2010

Today is my first day of true Independence. I am number 6 in a family of 7. A  family of 7 that is alternately stifingly close (such as when I wanted to sell my kitchen table on Craigslist, and 2 of my sisters casually- and separately- asked me with gleaming eyes what I was planning to do with my table when I got my new one), and vulnerably close (today when I asked my YOUNGER brother if he wanted to co-author a blog with me and he laughed meanly and said "you mean you want me to write a blog for you? Why don't we title the 1st one "Declaration of Independence from Outside Sources?" ), and wonderfully close (do I really need to define this? If you have sisters you KNOW).  After the conversation with my brother, I headed to the computer, glass of wine in hand and promptly called my sister. "Look, I really need help starting a blog." As amiable and helpful (and distracted) as she was, I quickly realized I had called the wrong person. She was really, weirdly, encouraging me to write my first blog about a customer service rep at HSBC named Kevin Dorr. I asked her a few times if she was sure this was normal, and she just exhaled loudly, saying "Well, I sure as hell would think it was funny."  I grew more and more uncomfortable with the situation, and her voice was getting more and more drowned out by the TV, so I hung up with her and decided that maybe my brother was right. Maybe I do need Independence from Outside Sources. So F you, Pete. This is my damn blog.

2 comments:

  1. off to a great start joanne. this is exciting. and pete is hilarious (so are you). come to the party saturday at 2.

    ReplyDelete