Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tom & Jackie

My in-laws are here. And my kitchen is being torn apart. Which means my dining room has my kitchen in it, and my living room has my dining room in it, and so on. Aaaand Thanksgiving is in TWO days. Here. And I'm fine. Really. Ned and his sister's extraordinarily talented boyfriend are installing a hood in our kitchen. A pretty sick hood too, which is compelling me to paint. Did I mention that the boyfriend is extremely talented? In many different ways, including picking out paint colors. So we (verbally) picked out paint last night. Next step is telling Ned that I'm painting the kitchen. Maybe I'll lace his drink with Vitamin D first. Ned will do anything when he's on Vitamin D.
Anyway, back to the in-laws. Ned's family is pretty much the polar opposite of mine. For example, my mom once had a Toyota Camry. A nice Toyota Camry. Then the windshield wipers broke, and my mom foresaw of future of bank breaking auto repair. So she gave it to a family with 3 kids who paid $400 for a windshield wiper motor and to this day cruise by our house in it. Kudos to her though, right?
My mom's donation. Tom's defeat.
And Jackie's dream car. All in one family.
Ned's dad also has a Camry. Ned's dad is something of a financial guru. I'm pretty sure that if so much as a check engine light went on in his car, he would have next year's model. For free. That day. Seriously. He's getting quite the reputation for car deals. Almost too good. Jackie called the other day (a rare cell-phone call. Jackie keeps track, and I mean TRACK, of how many minutes she's used. Sometimes she answers the phone "Home phone." and hangs up, waiting for you to call her home phone. It's very disconcerting)  and asked if Ned thought his dad would tag along to a car dealer with her. Ned hung up, and shook his head. "Jackie wants my dad to buy her car with her. She wants a $7.00 a month payment?" Long story short, Jackie misunderstood a $7.00 a month discount to a $7.00 a month payment. That kind of sums up the difference between Ned's family and mine. Ned's family would know right off the bat that it's not possible to have a $7.00 a month payment. Nor would they think the solution to a broken windshield motor is to give away the car. But tomatoes-tomahtoes, right? Between Jackie and Ned's dad, the holidays are entirely blog worthy around here.

7 comments:

  1. wowsa girl, i'm impressed and overjoyed at the fact that i can count on you to write a post almost every single day. YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoa that was a little too good.

    so funny, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Vitamin D code for Jack Daniels? Because that's what it's code for in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. And the comment on mine, but I have to clarify for you. When I started on blogger, I couldn't figure ANYTHING out. I openly admit that I backdoored my way into everything about this site. Often I would blog about how to do something when it drove me insane enough. I broke down about a month ago on how to do tabs at the top of your page. It finally made me crazy enough...lol. And the thing is this: in terms of computer stuff, blogger is relatively easy. SOOOO, I have this idea and am following through, even though I feel completely at sea, to create this website. And that is just the start. The problem is that I barely am functional on blogger. And the website is making me insane. As expected, nothing is going right. And no one who lives close to me knows anything about it. That is what I was yammering about on my posts. It is a huge deal for me and I feel passionately about it... where the site is going and what it will do. The building of the thing... well, that is making me insane. However, I feel your blogger pain, too. Because it makes me crazy too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robin: Bummer! Pretty impressive, though. Branching waaay farther out than I would! Keep me posted on the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KLZ I am patiently (sort of) waiting for our budding friendship to become Blog-official. What does it take to get you to follow me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your blog...you're so funny!

    ReplyDelete